Pages

Friday, May 21, 2010

3 Bags of Chips on the Kitchen Counter...eff

As I was making a fresh batch of almond milk, my sister came home from the grocery store with not one, but THREE bags of chips.  Granted one of them hasn't been opened yet. Yep, that's right. Apparently that's what saves this from being absolutley obese.

It isn't as if my morning started much better.

In the bag was my standard breakfast sandwich from Timmy Ho's. I get an egg and cheese on an english muffin. That, with a large coffee with 2 milk is a decent breakfast. Not nutritious in the least, but calorie-wise, it is quite manageable. The timbits on the other hand are not. And none fell on the floor this time. Ugghh. The problem was that we went into the store. And all those yummy timbits were just calling my name. Loudly.  I only had 5...hah so the equivalent of one doughnut.

Moving on, I fared a bit better at work.

Lunch was - Spinach salad (avocado, almonds, onions + dressing), apple, special K bar.


It made me feel like I was getting back on track! That always gives me momentum. I truly reccommend to anyone who has kind of gotten off track to just make themselves one healthy meal. It will really boost your willingness to get back on track and continue to eat healthy. 

When I came home after work, I was in no mood to get inventive. I had some left over soup in my freezer. I just put that in the microwave, defrosted and enjoyed. 


This picture totally reminds me of those recipe books from the 70's and 80's - where all the pictures of the food looks brown and old. I don't think that the idea of the fresh vegetable was invented until the late 90s. 

Anyway - despite the lackluster photo - it was delicious. This is my Lentil and Vegetable Soup - and it is super easy.  A fresh batch can be made in about 30 mins, and it freezes easily. 
Ingredients:

1 medium onion chopped
2 carrots (sliced)
2 stalks of celery (chopped)
1 clove of garlic minced
1 cup of lentils
6 cups of vegetable broth
1 tsp canola oil

Directions:

1. In a large saucepan heat up oil over medium heat. Add in the onions and garlic and sautee for 5 minutes.
2. Add in carrots and celery. Continue to cook with the cover on for an additional 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add in 1 cup of lentils
4. Add in 6 Cups of Vegetable Broth. (You can buy vegetable broth, however, you can also buy vegetable bouillion (powder).  Add in 1 rounded tsp per cup of warm water. Stir and dissolve...can add in more powder to taste)
5. Bring soup to a boil and then simmer for 30 minutes.

It's ready to eat after that. Let it cool down a bit before you refridgerate/freeze it. 

This makes 8 servings - however, I will eat 2 at a time..easily.

I got inspired today after successfully completing day 3 of my Slim Down Challenge and made a fresh batch of almond milk, and grounded up some flax seed. All the while stuffing chips, and tostitos laced with cheese sauce in my mouth. So counter intuitive.

All I wanted to do was sit down and have chips with a diet coke. But, I decided instead to make a green monster. I added half a scoop of protein powder and it became a meal on it's own.

My dad looked at it and said it looked similar to the vomit he just cleaned up from my dog.

And I'm going to end it on that note.

No comments:

Post a Comment