Pages

Monday, May 24, 2010

Happy Victoria Day!

For those of us in Canada, we get to celebrate the birth of Queen Victoria...otherwise known as May 2-4 weekend where you try and drink your weight in beer.

I took it as a chance to have a day off and just relax. That didn't mean however that my approach to a healthy lifestyle had to. This is becoming one of my biggest challenges - is realizing that I need to change my mentality.  Eating a healthy and balanced diet shouldn't be something that I want to take a break from. It needs to become as natural and instinctual as eating itself.

It seems like a simple concept. But it isn't.

I spent the day at my boyfriends house. That itself is a bit of a challenge. I came prepared, bringing myself black beans, almond milk, blueberries and fibre one. He was awesome and bought me some broccoli so I could make sure I get my daily serving of dark greens.

I didn't have breakfast today because we slept in (it was heavenly) so by the time I was hungry it was already time for lunch time fare.

I had a mixture of sorts. Quinoa served with black beans, broccoli and onions and flavoured with feta cheese and Renees Spring Herb dressing.

It was yummy! And looks particularly good on this plate.

For dessert, which i rarely crave, I had a mini chocolate fudgesicle.

It was the perfect amount. I highly recommend these "mini" versions of ice treats. They are usually just the right size, and because they are smaller, they are low in saturated fat.

Today I did day 5 of the Slim Down Challenge.  I did Day 4 yesterday, and it was a piece of cake. The 30 Day Shred, Level 1 is becoming quite manageable. Today, however, I was dying. I think there are two reasons for this (*cough* excuses *cough*):

1. I was removed from my typical workout environment. I tried it out at my boyfriend's place. I had space issues. I kept feeling like I was going to hit into a door or wall, or cat. It wasn't ideal.

2. I can't remember what my second reason was.

I worked out for 24 minutes. It was long enough. Hopefully next time I have to workout to that vid I will be more prepared. I was going to try and do it again later tonight, but that never...ever...ever happens.

Now it's time for my favourite segment: Guess who had what!?  I made dinner for my boyfriend tonight, and made him whatever he wanted (He did clean up the apartment and our dishes, so I thought I owed him).

(Don't let the hairy legs fool you, I can get quite lazy)


Obviously I had the salad. I haven't had a salad in ages, and it was well worth the wait. I had romaine lettuce (it's all there was - but I usually prefer spinach), chick peas, onions, tomatoes, broccoli with feta and spring dressing. With a side of berries, I felt it was a great meal to have for a summery, holiday meal.

For both of my lunch and dinner meals I had legumes as my protein source. Particularly the black beans are being labelled as the new superfood to take over from soybeans.  Black beans are a great source of fibre, plus are a great choice for protein. More importantly however, Black beans contain antioxidants - comparable to that of cranberries in amount. 


Antioxidants are molecules in foods that help prevent or slow down oxidation chemical reactions in the body. Cells naturally produce oxidation reactions, which lead to cell damage (which can result in cancer, heart disease, diabetes etc.). Try and eat foods that are dark in colour. This usually means that they are higher in antioxidants. Think blueberries, cranberries, black beans and red kidney beans.

Tonight, we enjoyed a gentle spring breeze as we sipped our coffee and watched the various fire works display from my boyfriend's balcony.

it made me want summer to come oh so quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment