Pages

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Pushing the Reset Button

I've applied to the Starting Over House circa 2003.

haha. I kid, I kid. They denied my application.

But in all seriousness - I am starting over on the diet-leg of my "healthy lifestyle journey".  Since my last post, where I was all excited about how far i've come blah, blah, blah - I have become very complacent with my current status.

Complacency can kill any diet/exercise program. As it did with me. It started with something simple - like not tracking my calories eaten everyday. Then I started to make less than stellar food choices. But I compensated for maintaining a consistent exercise routine. Without consistent efforts in all areas however, my motivation and steam ran low. Beyond low - it was non-existent.

Unfortunately this bad attitude crept its way into my life. As I write this though - doesn't this make sense? My diet and exercise isn't something that is separate from my life. It is all part and parcel of who I am.

For the last few weeks I have been perma-mad and resentful. Those who know me, know I am a very controlled person -who can be just an itsy bit neurotic. With my diet and exercise program falling through the cracks, it felt like the poop had hit the fan. And the mess was disgusting - as I assume it would be if that situation had actually happened.

And poop is a good place to start - as it usually is. Eating loads of crap (chips ALL of the time) made for a very unhappy stomach.  And it paid me back big time.

This was at least tolerable. I was able to still maintain a good workout routine. However, that quickly ended. Without fueling my body with good, energy packed food my workouts starting to be listless. My energy level fell to the depths of despair. The depths. of. despair.

Over dramatic? Hells no!

I need to get worked up about something - it might as well be this!  Admittedly, I didn't do horribly. I still managed to lose weight - but I feel like that was dehydration. Because surprise, surprise - my water intake dwindled as well. My body, used to getting in water in Lake Ontario quantity (but not quality), was feeling dehydrated - hungoverish.

Needless to say, I have to change. For the sake of me, my relationships and my body - I need to push the reset button.

http://photos-ak.sparkpeople.com/nw/1/2/l126110164.jpg
So here is my game plan:

1. I have started a brand-spanking new account on SparkPeople. Maybe this isn't necessary - but I will restart all the initial diet stages that I clearly haven't developed or maintained as well as I had hoped.


2. Create a list of foods that I must ALWAYS have in the house. This will keep me from straying away and towards those less than desirable but oh so yummy foods.

3. Create an exercise workout plan. A plan that I can stick to, but one of which I will see results with. I will focus on cardio and strength training...but more importantly mixing it up.

4. Scheduling in the exercise. This is imperative. It is one thing to say that I will come up with an exercise plan - but to actually do it? That's a whole other kettle of fish (that saying is right up there with the "poop hitting fan" remark).

There we go. Easy peasy.

I mean writing the list. The actual implementation is going to be as tough as steel. Abs of steel that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment